Sunday, January 29, 2012

Feel the Vibration


By chance last week, on the way to Mobile for my good friend's birthday, I found out that Southern Rep would be putting on a production of my favorite musical, Spring Awakening. I've seen this show once on Broadway in New York City and not only is it not currently on Broadway, the touring production wrapped up this past year. Without calling Brad, I immediately reserved two tickets for the night of the 27th. After seeing Wicked, he has come to appreciate musical theatre, and even if he wasn't as pumped about seeing the show as I was, he knew how important it was to me. Plus, it had been a good 30 days since we had a good Jungle Juice and been in the city. It was time.

Friday afternoon we headed to New Orleans and after an amazing dinner at Irene's Cuisine we set out for Canal Place in anticipation of show time.

On a side note -- I had never heard of Southern Rep, didn't know it existed on the third floor of Canal Place and didn't know that there was an actual movie theatre on that floor as well. It's not your typical movie theatre either. We shouldn't expect anything less from the city we refer to as our second home, but while your sitting in your seat watching a movie, waiters and waitresses bring you whatever drink you'd like. Beauty and the Beast with a vodka tonic? Contraband with a dirty martini? Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close with a Jack and Coke? This is way more exciting then smuggling in four baby wines.

Just as I had expected, the show was amazing. I can't wait to see it again.

The next morning Brad and I headed to Dominca located in the Roosevelt Hotel. After eating too much pizza, we stepped onto Baronne to make our way to the car. As we stepped out from underneath the shade of the hotel awning, crossing the street was the one and only Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. Technically it was only Marky Mark, and yes, I know this isn't what he refers to himself as now, but it's the only thing that came to my mind. We crossed the street and Brad said, "Hey Mark, could she get a picture with you?" He said yes of course, asked me to marry him, in which I had to politely decline and after wiping away his tears, he turned and went into the church across from the Roosevelt.

Until next time...

Black, white, red, brown -- FEEL THE VIBRATION.

No comments:

Post a Comment