Thursday, March 8, 2012

Fantastic "Five" WICKED Weekend

Sometime many, many months ago, the Fantastic Four, which consists of myself, Erin, Leah and Roz, planned a trip to Birmingham to see the musical Wicked. We crossed days off of our calendars for what seemed like forever!

On our way to Birmingham one of us raised the question: When did we become friends?

After unsuccessfully trying to pinpoint the exact moment, we settled on the conclusion that the friendship we have naturally happened. Somehow, no matter how different we were -- and there couldn't be four that were so different -- we gravitated toward each other.

Leah, Erin and Roz pledged Delta Gamma, became close friends and then I entered the picture a year later. They'd all agree that this is when the party started. We've been through fun times, hard times, arguments... the whole nine yards throughout the years as we've been friends. In 2009, Roz was married in June, Leah in August, myself in November and Erin the following May. Wedding showers, bachelorette parties, "Will you be my bridesmaid?" moments and the like were all jam-packed into a short amount of time. You see, there's something about this small group of friends that I have. In the past, we've been scattered across the country. One moves here and one moves there, we go months without talking, but when we finally gather together, it's like time hasn't passed and we are right back where we left off. As we get older, their friendship genuinely means more to me each and every day and I hope that I make a point, more often then not, to let them know how much I value each one of them. As Carrie from Sex & the City pointed out: "It's hard to find people who would love you no matter what. I was lucky enough to find three of them."

Since we've all moved back down south, it's been easier to see one another. The last couple of times we've been together, for our annual Christmas gathering and Wicked, something has been a little different. Leah broke the news to us at the end of last year that her and Jerod were expecting a baby! Lillian Katheryn will be here this summer!

We all stayed the night with Leah Friday night before setting off to Birmingham and we were able to see what Leah has done so far on the nursery. There's no denying she's pregnant and even more this time than last, it was so real. She's having a baby and soon there will be five of us! Lillian's "aunts" can not wait to spoil her!

Baby Lillian and her Aunt Roz pose for their very first photo together.


As Glinda and Elphaba sang "For Good" during the end of Wicked, I couldn't help but shed a little tear (and I know I wasn't the only one). Because I knew THEM, I have been changed for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment